Unit-7 : Solutions of Questions on Page Number : 155
Q1 : Each student will now complete his/ her half of the following table (Hockey or Football), by adding information from the text each has read.
|Ball:||Spherical in shape,circumference between 224 and 235|
millimetres,weight between 156 and 163 grams.material of
the ball should be hard, smooth and white in colour.
|Spherical , round,leather-covered, inflated rubber|
bladder 27-28 inches in circumference and 397-454 grams in
|Playing Area:||Rectangular in shape,100 yards long and 60 yards wide.||Rectangular grass or artificial turf within a clearly|
defined area.length of the pitch is in the range of
100-110 m and the width is in the range of 64-75 m
|Duration||Divided into two periods of thirty-five minutes each with|
a break in between.
|Divided into two periods of 45 minutes each known as|
halves with a half time break of 15 minutes.
|Judging:||Two umpires control the game by administering the|
rules.Responsible for keeping time.
|Game controlled by a referee along with two linesmen.|
Referee responsible for keeping time.
|Penalties||Free hit awarded for any foul committed outside the|
penalty area. Penalty corner awarded if foul is committed
or the ball is hit outside goal-line.
|Free kick or penalty kick is awarded for fouls committed.|
|Penalty Area:||A semi circular area 14.63m from the goal||A rectangular area 40.2m wide and extending 16.5 m into|
the field where the goal keeper operates.
|Cards:||Green card -official warning to a player.Red card- shown|
for more serious offence and sees the player leave the
match for good.
|Yellow card- warning card for dangerous play.Red card-|
Card shown for serious misconduct resulting in ejection
of a player from the game.
Q2 : Either in groups or individually, make a power- point presentation on either of the two games. Incorporate points from the table above and any other interesting information/detail.
Pointers have been provided for students’ reference.
It is strongly recommended that students prepare the answer on their own.
Powerpoint Presentation on Football
Slide 1: A team Sport.
Football is a team sport .
- Played between two teams of eleven members each
- Ball – spherical ball ,round, leather-covered, inflated rubber bladder 27-28 inches in circumference.
- The ball weighs 397-454 grams
Slide 2: Playing Area
- Rectangular grass or artificial turf
- A goal in the centre of each of the short ends
- Length of the pitch – 100-110 m
- Width of the pitch – 64-75 m
Slide 3: Object of the game
The object of the game is to score by driving the ball into the opponent’s goal.
- Goalkeepers – only players allowed to use their hands or arms to propell the ball
- Rest of the team – can use their feet only.
Slide 4: Duration of the Game
- Duration of the game : 90 minutes
- Divided into two halves of 45 minutes
- 15 minutes half time break
Slide 5: Control of the Game
- Game controlled by a referee along with two linesmen
- The referee responsible for time keeping
Slide 6: World Cup
- Federation of International Football Association (FIFA) organises world cup events.